Wednesday, September 19, 2012

When Did You Know You Wanted To Be A Writer?


      I watched the movie Stand By Me recently. I've seen it countless times before when I was younger, but it's been a while. When I was a kid we watched it all the time on HBO because it was on every other day.
      It was the story that made me want to write. Later in life I searched out the book Different Seasons and was amazed. The Body and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption blew me away.


Stephen King Book Covers

      At one point in the movie something truly amazing happened. I realized that not only did I know the movie that made me want to become a writer. I realized the exact scene.


 
     When I was a kid I remember viewing this scene and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.  Some kids wanted to be basketball players, others movie stars, I thought sitting at home in front of a computer and writing was the ultimate.  I still do.
     When did you know?

3 comments:

  1. When I was in 6th grade and started a school newspaper with a friend :) I can't remember a time when I couldn't read & writing followed right behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg,
    Never joined the school paper. Probably would have really enjoyed it. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Funny how writers can pinpoint a time when they got the writing bug. For me, it happened in third grade when my teacher read a story I'd written out loud to the class. From that moment on, that's all I ever wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete